Saturday, April 14, 2018

Yellow Week II

Scrap sewing this week has been all about yellows and golds. Such a favourite to brighten my day. I have completed my three Squared Away blocks for the RSC2018 quilt.

It has also been a week of great sorrow. Sixteen people, players, coaches and support staff, were killed in northeast Saskatchewan, when their Humboldt Broncos hockey team bus collided with a semi-trailer truck. It has brought out nation to our knees in solidarity and support. The call went out for comfort quilts, using the Take 5 pattern, and their team colours...green and gold. Following the #homboldtstrong tag, there has been ever iteration of that pattern submitted. Mine is not exception.
The completed quilt top will be graciously long arm quilted by Kim Caskey Custom Quilting. I will post pictures, perhaps when it is done next week.

On Friday I attended a very exciting class, Colour Class 1, taught by the brilliant colourist Wanda Cracknell. So many mind stretching exercises using our 3 in 1 Color Tool and Joen Wolfrom's Color Play.




This week I put the call out to my "Friends in White Satin" for scraps for a special project. My youngest daughter is getting married in August and has asked for a jeweled bridal bouquet. (there are 100s of images on the web if you want to check what others might look like) Because it has to built on a styrofoam ball, I want to cover it completely with white satin, yo-yos in particular. To this I will be adding costume jewelry: rhinestones and faux pearls to achieve a lustrous arrangement. I will post pictures as we move to completion.


To catch up with all of the other yellow scrappy happiness, please check out SoScrappy.

with love and hugs
Kathy

5 comments:

  1. Catching up, reaching out, expanding your mind (and blowing mine.) What a week you had!! That bridal bouquet is more than I can EVER imagine trying to create. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of a jeweled bridal bouquet. Sounds like you are off to a good start. I'm going to go google it. It sounds beautiful. Your daughter is lucky to have a mom that can make one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great yellow blocks. Good to hear you are doing a green and yellow quilt. My older son had a class or 2 with Tyler who was injured in the crash. So we had a little update from friends, sounds like lots of healing ahead, but he is one of the lucky ones. Wedding this summer sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Squared Away blocks are just wild! Love the polka dots!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the background fabrics in your squared away blocks. Such a sad story about the hockey team. Glad that you are able to participate in the comfort quilt project.

    ReplyDelete