Thursday, June 8, 2017

Grateful for Yellow

A few years ago while out for a Mother's Day brunch with my family we saw a beautiful commercial art piece with a strong yellow background and bright red poppies. I mentioned to my grandson (then 11) that I thought it would make a great idea for a quilt. His response was..."what about copyright Grandma?" I did get permission from the cafe owner to use their painting for design inspiration of this quilt.

I am making my  background from a stack of yellow string blocks, framed left and bottom with pale orange.

The poppies are cut from red string blocks, with many more poppies to add. I first drew my desired poppy onto steam a seam, cut the poppy apart, then placed the strategically over the string block to capture different textures.


I will use the same process for the leaves. Shown here are some of the variety of green string blocks that I have to choose from.

This is a work in progress and I am looking forward to completion.

I am sharing this on SoScrappy along with others who are basking in their yellow scraps.superscrappy.blogspot.ca

Love and hugs
Kathy

12 comments:

  1. This quilt looks great so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a lovely piece--hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really neat idea - looking forward to seeing the end result!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just beautiful ; what a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your "Cafe Art" quilt is coming along nicely. Thanks for sharing your progress during YELLOW month for the RSC!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great way to use up scraps. Looking forward to seeing the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poppies on yellow sounds luscious and looks wonderful so far! My sister would like it...she lives in CA and sent a posted a pic a while ago of her front yard full of blooming CA poppies. It was a sight!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very original use of string,and scrappy blocks. I'm looking forward,to see its progress.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great looking quilt. Love the background string blocks

    ReplyDelete