Sunday, June 5, 2016

Turning 65!

Wow...where have I been? Here. And I have been busy, though not in blog-land.


Since we have last spoke I have celebrated by 65th birthday. It was a wonderful collection of celebrations, with my family, my quilting friends and with my work colleagues. Several weeks long I was feted and fed at special breakfasts and lunches and dinners; I thank you all for making me feel so special. I received flowers, fabrics and was fawned upon in great order. Pictured here for birthday lunch with my Odessa and Tanea, following their dance competition...high gold!

I had a special late hours birthday get together at LQS Earthly Goods. The very generous owner and friend Patti Hansen stayed for dinner and cake and then handed over the keys and the door code. We, the senior set now, sewed on and on and finally trundled out at midnight.

I was sewing together my collection of string blocks to create this sew sew simple layout, "When you String Upon a Star", inspiration found on Pinterest.

I have continued to stay caught up on my Quilty 365 project...which in my case is Turning (3)65. I am so thrilled with this quilt (Jan thru Mar are shown here) and am already wondering to my self what will be my personal project for 2017? Note the abundance of aquamarine used in Feb and Mar!

Depending where you are in the world, you may be aware of an enormous forest fire that continues to burn out of control in Northern Alberta and Saskatchewan, so named The Beast. Approximately 90,000 people have been evacuated from the city of Fort McMurray. Approximately 30% of the homes and businesses have been lost to The Beast and others have been deem imhabitable by the saturation and spread of ash and fire retardent. One of the families that have fled is now staying at my daughter's. She selflessly gave up the main floor of her home and has moved into her basement. This family have even been re-united with the little pet guinea pig...Arty! There have been so many heart wrenching stories of gallantry and kindness in the face of the tragedy. For the little girl that is now residing at my daughters (while her FMM home is being assessed) I have made this Colour Me Quilt, pattern by Emily Herricks Designs.

I have a lot of other catching up to do, and will promise to be a little more faithful in contributing at the SoScrappy Saturday Linky party, found here where they are celebrating the completion of the colour green scraps and have now moved on the aquamarine scraps. I promise to do better at staying caught up!

Warm love and hugs
Kathy

2 comments:

  1. Marvelous quilts (and memories) being made!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday. Love the crayon quilt. When You String Upon a star is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete